August 27, 2014

a new season

Hi everyone!



I've been pretty absent from the ole blog for a while. Part of it was intentional and part of it wasn't. I go through phases where the internet gets overwhelming. I think anyone who uses the internet a lot in their daily lives (especially people who blog for a living or run websites) periodically need a break from the interwebs. I know I do and I don't even generate a living this way! There are times when I purposefully step away from the technology because while I love what technology and the internet have given us (helllooo, FaceTime!), it's also the force in my life that drives me to post a cute photo to Instagram, or check out Facebook, write a couple blog posts, or check in on Influenster, or look in on a few of my favorite blogs, etc., etc. Sometimes I like to step away from the "public-ness" of it all and just live my life with my family in our own world, without the rest of the world knowing or seeing our days. This is a completely new problem in the world and it's interesting to me to watch how other Internet-public people deal with the constant pressure to be connected and "out there" for everyone to see. I read about some of my favorite blog authors doing the same thing- turning everything off, getting away from the tech, and soaking in the sweetness of just being. I've been really embracing the just being lately and making a conscious effort to pause and drink in my life more often.

We've also been really busy. That's the other part ;)

August has FLOWN by for us. We started the month with a week long trip for Nick to Madison, WI for a conference and my mom coming to visit for a few days while he was gone. Then, Nick got sick basically the moment he touched down at the ATL airport. So he spent the week after getting home on antibiotics and sleeping on the couch to prevent middle of the night coughing attacks. Alden and I had a couple routine doctor's appointments back to back (plus one early pick up from school for a fever) in the same week that we had meetings with his new teachers because he moved to a new school! His first day was August 18th and so far we all LOVE it. We've been eyeing this school since I was pregnant and are so happy to have finally gotten a spot. Along with the craziness of Alden switching schools comes Mama going back to class, too. I'm taking an undergrad level Anatomy & Physiology class to use as a prerequisite for nursing school (yeah, I guess an update on that is due, too...). So Alden's first day was also my first day :) So far, it's going well for me. I've taken this class before and am only retaking it because nursing school requires that it have been taken in the past 7 years. Since my undergrad classes are skirting that requirement, I figured I'd go ahead and take it to reset the clock. I remember more than I thought I would and am enjoying being one of the oldest people in the room. Haha, they all look at me with a mixture of wonder and pity..."Why is that grown lady taking this class with all of us 19 year olds?!" On top of the fact that I have another huge project underway at the same time as all of this!

Nick has also had a busy month; starting with the conference and now preparing for his yearly committee meeting. This year's meeting is a big one because we may get word on when his committee thinks he can start writing his dissertation/get ready to graduate! It's been a long road for him and I think he's approaching this new chapter with both excitement and a little dread. Things happen quickly in his type of PhD program in the last year or so; once your committee tells you that you can start writing there's anywhere from 6 months to a year to get your dissertation done, set your defense date, plan for graduation, and find a job. Most of the time you only have about one semester to make everything happen so we're eagerly anticipating this meeting. Or at least I am...maybe Nick's not as excited to hear about all this extra work ;) Without a doubt, it's both nerve-wracking and exhilarating to prepare for our family's next big adventure!

Alden is growing and changing faster than ever. We can barely keep up with him! He's talking so much, running any chance he can get, learning new things every day, and generally being an active toddler :) He left the school he had been at since he was 9 weeks old, started his new school, started a weekend gymnastics class, had playdates and birthday party fun, went through a sleep regression (which is hopefully on its way out), and has seriously improved his tantrum abilities ;) I have tons of photos and updates to write on his 16, 17 and 18th months (since we're almost at 19!) and probably have a few other things we could include, too. I'm hoping to get back to those soon since I love having our "baby book" updated.

Overall, it feels like we are entering a new season for our family. Along with the cooling temperatures and falling leaves that are right around the corner, we're moving into a year that may hold a lot of changes and growth for us. Alden is firmly in the "kid" category now (no more baby around here!) and we're really loving all of the new experiences we have with him. I am turning down the path that is ultimately going to land me in my dream career while Nick is in the last leg of his PhD journey. So many things to look forward to and so many things to sit back and enjoy while we can :)

All this to say that we are here, happily chugging right along, watching our little man grow up and keeping ourselves busy! More updates to come soon!

much love,
L&N

No comments:

Post a Comment